0

Withdrawals

They come in different forms and magnitudes. For example, I can state that I'm officially addicted to Dr. Pepper. Because although I've tried several times before to quit it, it's just. not. possible. I went three days without it and had headaches that lasted..well, til I drank some again. I've discovered though, that I can substitute a Dr. Pepper for any other form of caffeine, like coffee or another type of soft drink, and I'll be fine. Others, however, are not that easy to replace... such as friendships. And these cause the worst withdrawals. Yes, worse than denying your favorite drink, because these withdrawals take place in the heart. You see every friendship you have provides something that you cannot quite find in your other ones, so exchanging or replacing is out of the question. But when prolonged absence is inevitable, these very specific interactions are missed. You can't simply take a group of people and place them in the spot the prior one had, and expect them to provide the exact same relationship you had with the former one. Every friendship is special in their own way. However, this is not about exchanging or substituting, this is about dealing with the absence of something you had in given quantities before. Withdrawals. I would rather take the trifling headache caused by consuming no Dr. Pepper, than heartache caused by missing someone. I miss someone. I missed someone yesterday. And I'll miss someone tomorrow. In fact, I miss my college friends so terribly much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment